So it's officially time to replace your roof. Now, how do you pick the right man for the job?? Of course, if you're in the Louisville or surrounding areas, we all know who you should pick (wink, wink). So if you're NOT local, here are some good qualities to look for when choosing a good contractor:
- Ask questions! If you receive a low bid for the job, ask the contractor how he came up with the number. You're looking for quality service, not cheap work.
- How long has the contractor been in business? You want a well-established business in case you need them years down the road. You want to know they will be around to assist you.
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured. That may seem like a silly point, but you could be setting yourself up for trouble if you don't make sure of this.
- Ask the contractor for references. Also, do your homework and ask around the community to make sure they have a good reputation.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau. This is where you will find the complaints if a company has any.
- Look for a contractor with good communication skills. You want to stay informed along the way without any surprises on your bill!
- Look for a contractor with a written guarantee on the installation. You will have a manufacturer's warranty on the materials, but that won't cover the contractor's installation services.
- Make sure clean-up is included in the cost.
- Get a written contract. No matter how great or reputable a company is, you always want to have their word in writing. Unfortunately, an old-fashioned handshake won't cut it anymore.
I hope that helps to at least give you a starting point when narrowing down and picking your contractor for you job! That may be one of the most important decisions you make, because the right contractor will hire the right people, will pick the best materials, and will provide honest work. You have to be able to trust the company you pick! If you need any help with this part, you know the drill... give me a ring!